Tuesday 5 June 2012

15) LAVENDER, TEN NATURAL HEALTH BENEFITS


A lovely lavender field

Do you like the smell of lavender? If I am asked to describe it, I would say that the lilac colored scent has a refreshingly light note with a flowery bouquet.  An image of standing in a field of lavender blooms or a meadow with calming sound of a trickling brook comes to mind.



 A Meadow
I have never tried using lavender in my cooking.  However, I have had facial massages using lavender oil which is relaxing,  a set of lavender cologne spray, hand cream and soap which was a going away gift from my colleagues and a pouch that has dried lavender flowers(was a Christmas present) to scent my drawer.  Since we are on the subject.....Does having a bunch of artificial lavender flowers count?  I remember buying it after shifting to my previous home and that was about 8 years ago.  Still look as fresh as the day I bought it albeit, a little bit dusty.


Anyway, do you use lavender? (fresh, oil, perfume, cologne)   If yes, please share how or why you use it.


These are the natural health benefits of lavender you can try at home.

As an Antiseptic
Lavender has natural antiseptic properties. Instead of rubbing alcohol on wounds, use lavender oil as it acts like a protective salve. Suitable for children too.
For Bathing
By adding either oil or fresh buds to a hot bath promotes relaxation and eases tired muscles.

As a Herbal Tea
Steep a small handful of lavender flowers in boiling water and voila! You get a healthful herbal tea. It is just as effective as chamomile to promote sleep and help soothe nervousness.

Use as a laundry scent
Add a tied up bundle of lavender blossoms in a cloth and add them to the dryer cycle when you do laundry. 
As a Perfume
Try Lavender oil  instead of perfumes and colognes. All you need is to dab a little at the back of your neck or wrists to smell fresh and light.
For Skin relief
Is your skin burned, chafed or irritated? Add some lavender oil to your moisturizer or a spray water bottle and apply or mist your skin generously.
As a Sleep Accessory
Tie up fresh flowers in a satchel, small pillow case, or reusable eye pillow. Lavender helps you to sleep better.
For Stress Relief
By crushing fresh lavender with your fingers or rubbing lavender oil onto your temples is soothing and calming.  Feel your anxiety and tension melt away.
To get rid of Dandruff
Between vinegar and lavender, who needs those harsh chemical shampoos? Steep lavender as you would to make tea; allow to cool and use as a rinse daily until dandruff is cleared up.
For Salads
Lavender makes an unusual, floral accent in many dishes. Here is a simple recipe for lavender dressing

Lavender Dressing
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers - ground or whole

Add lavender dressing to fruit or vegetable salad

The title of my next topic for discussion is, "Does Black Rice Vinegar Have Health Benefits?"


My Art Corner


SWEETIE PIE


Sweet looking baby looking downward.  It is the first time I am drawing this angle.  My other portraits are usually from the front or the side. Hope you like it.





Thanks for looking and taking the time to read my blog. I welcome feedback and please feel free to share your experiences in relation to today's topic.

Until my next post, "Here's to your health!"

Photo Credit: StockFreeImages.com 























No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi I welcome your comments and sharing on the topic that I have posted.