Monday 28 May 2012

7) DO YOU KNOW YOUR LEMONS?





I always wanted to have a lemon tree.  I liked the notion of having a big bowl of freshly plucked lemon fruit in the kitchen and dining hall so that the air will be naturally scented.



About two years ago, we finally planted one in our garden. The nursery owner whom I bought the young tree from assured me that the species from Australia are very easy to grow and will bear lots of fruits.  The plant and soil cost almost RM100.  At the time, the young plant has already borne four fruits and still green.   Considering that one lemon costs RM1 in our local markets, I thought it  was worth the initial capital.  

Alas, the picture above is not of my lemon tree.  It still need lots of sunshine and rain before I can show it off.  Unfortunately,  a few months after planting it, the first fruits were covered with black fungus and I had to cut it all off.  Insects have also destroyed the flower buds.  Wanting to grow a lemon tree is one thing,  tending to the weeds is another.  I dislike laboring in the sun( who does) because I have sensitive skin and  it will only darkened my pigmentation.  Though dear hubby likes gardening, he has to travel outstation daily. So that leaves no one to take care of the tree.  Maybe I should hire contract gardeners to clear the weeds. Meanwhile, I will just have to buy lemons from the hypermarket.

Lemons are citrus fruits. The juice has a sharp sourness even when it is ripe. It is a semi tropical evergreen tree.  Ripe lemons are yellow in color and did you know that consuming the acidic juice will leave an alkaline residue in our bodies?  Now that is an eye opener for me. Pineapples are acidic too. However, once consumed,  it will become alkaline in our bodies.   Boy! Was I wrong.  My misconceptions about lemons and pineapples are thrown out the window.  








Benefits of Lemon



For centuries, this fruit has been known for its therapeutic properties. Commonly used in home remedies, it is especially effective in treating stomach problems because of its cleansing effect. 

Lemons can strengthen our immune system. If you have a flu or a cold,  drink lemon juice. It relieves the symptoms as well as halt most infections from progressing. Why? Because it possesses antibacterial and antiviral properties. 


Benefits of Lemon

  • Lemons act as a blood purifier and improves the body's ability to get rid of toxins.
  • Lemons are excellent in fighting infections.
  • Lemons also get rid of insects like mosquitoes and flies. It is a natural insecticide.
  • You can use lemon on cuts too.  It is said that applying lemon on cuts can stop bleeding as well. This is because of its styptics property.  Lemon is nature's antiseptic.
  • Lemon juice is beneficial to people with heart problems. This is because it contains high potassium.

Uses of Lemon

  • Drink fresh lemon juice daily to cleanse your system.
  • Pure lemon juice will relieve pain on wasp and bee stings.
  • Lemon juice mixed with olive oil may help dissolve gallstones.
  • Regular intake of fresh lemons may be useful in treating kidney stones.

Besides making drinks, lemons can be pickled, cooked, made into tarts, cakes, pies, pastries, ice-cream.  The list goes on. It has become very clear to me that I have made the right decision to grow a lemon tree after all knowing what I know now about the amazing fruit!  

It is also widely known that the Garlic possesses therapeutic properties. Is the Garlic a vegetable, spice or a herb? To find out more look out for it in my next post.


You may also like:
6) HONEY, FACTS AND MYTHS
9) APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
15) LAVENDER, TEN NATURAL HEALTH BENEFITS



My Art Corner

Bosom Buddies
Like two peas in a pod, these newborn babies huddle together fast asleep nestling warmly in each other's arms. Hope you like it.



Thanks for looking and taking the time to read my blog. I welcome feedback and please feel free to share your experiences in relation to today's topic.

Until my next post, "Here's to your health!"


DISCLAIMER


Readers are advised that the information provided here is not a substitute for professional medical care and should not be used treating a health problem or a disease and that the materials here are not meant as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or following any treatment suggested by anyone on this site. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your ailment.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi I welcome your comments and sharing on the topic that I have posted.